Saturday, November 3

Pearls of Wisdom

So I don't often wax philosophical on this blog, but I recently met a very interesting Sikh grandfather on a bus who spoke with such sagacity and profundity in such a lovely lilting indian accent from under his turban (or rather, between his turbans - I'd never seen a beard-turban before!) that I felt I should write down some of what he had to say.

  • The earth provides all things.
  • Be cool with the nature. Look at the nature.
  • Keep the whole world inside you, and you will be happy anywhere.
  • Novels, TV, Movies - all these things are Distraction, Diversion, Deception. They are not freedom.
  • Meditate everyday.
I'm sure it all sounded a lot more profound when he said it, but they are the major principles I remember from our conversations. And I'm not going to convert to Sikhism and run off to India. At least not yet. But I am going to make more of an effort to find yoga classes more often again. It will all be easier when I finally get to Montreal and start setting up my life again.

I must be in a particularly philosophical frame of mind lately, as I also noticed this in the PD James book I'm currently reading:

'You couldn't exorcise the past either by returning to it or by running away. You couldn't resolve to put it out of your mind and memory because it had made you what you were. It had to be remembered, thought about, accepted, perhaps even given thanks for, since it had taught her how to survive." (A Certain Justice)

I like the idea that everything that happens to you, the good and the bad, becomes a part of you, and you have to accept it as a part of you, and value everything because it is a part of you.

Anyway, I realise this is not the promised post about my recent adventures. I'll get there. Really I will. And I'll even try to upload some photos. Soon!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, good post. You really are being enriched by your experiences, you know that? And I mean that as a completely straightforward, prosaic observation.
I think I want to meet that Sikh guy too.

Kat said...

Yah, I know. I feel enriched lately. A little too enriched... I think I'm ready to find a flat or room in Montreal and stop for a while. I've been pretty much homeless since I left Australia in June, which is probably a record, even for me.
And yes, the Sikh guy was great, but I didn't mention his other bits of advice, which were mostly along the lines of 'find a husband and settle down', and 'you must stay in one place for at least 3 to 5 years' and 'you can always go on holidays with your children if you want to travel' and 'why do you want to have a hole in your lip? Your nose or ears is ok, but not the lip and tongue'. These were pearls of wisdom I didn't find so useful...