Thursday, January 10

Getting into Flickr

So I've had a flickr account for almost 6 months now. I have rather a lot of photos uploaded to it, I've made slideshows and sets and links and generally used it as a personal photo album and backup of my photos. But I hadn't explored the flickr 'community' and the possibilities it brings until this evening. And I hadn't really understood tags until now, either.
I've been thinking for a while now that some of my photos might be worth a wider audience. I have a huge collection of photos from my travels, and have quite a few really good shots among them. I've been saying for a while that I need someone to 'curate' my collection - I'm too close to it to make unbiased opinions and, as a look at my photostream attests, like photos that document my life about as much as those that have artistic value. So I think I can use the flickr community as my 'curators'. Tagging photos in detail (and tagging what's in the photo, rather than when it was or anything else) and 'geotagging' them - pinpointing on a map where they were taken, I think will attract more of the general public to see them, and hopefully either comment on them or make them a 'fave' which would tell me which pics others find are worth seeing.
I've also discovered photo pools that you can add your photos to. For example, I could join the Travel Photography Group, one of the many Montreal groups, a group just for pictures of the sky, or something more thought-provoking, like this 'Beyond Stereotypes' group. I realise it's basically all in the name of self-promotion, but it would be nice for some of my photos to have a slightly wider audience than you lot!
And ok, so I fancy myself as a bit of a photographer on occasion, and want the praise and ego-rubs!
So I've started putting more work into my flickr collection. Starting with organising the photos properly into collections and sets. And I've picked pretty thumbnails for all the sets, so even if you don't look at any other photos, have a look at my collection of set-icons here!

I have also declared 'finished' the collections on West Coast America (left) and my Trans-Canada Adventures (click on the picture mosaics to go to the photos).

Yay for for the wonders of technology in the digital age!

0 comments: