Tuesday, February 26

I'm rich!

I have to open a bank account today so that I can bank my first ever Montreal pay cheque (yay!), and then give the details to the two schools that want to pay me by bank transfer. And hopefully have the net banking and everything set up so that I can pay my rent by bank transfer before the first of March (this might be hard).
Anyway, as my brain was thinking about banks, I decided to check my Australian bank account, which has been pretty much idle for the last few months (I've been living on the cash from the payout of my van). I didn't expect it to say anything different from last time.
So I was rather surprised to find the balance had gone up by rather a lot. Much to my surprise, the ATO has paid me my tax return! I didn't expect to ever get it, despite lodging the paperwork in November (only a month or so late). I expected lots more trouble over not having filed for a few years. I hadn't actually earned any money in Australia for a long time, and generally pay my taxes in the country I'm living in instead, so I hadn't had to (I wasn't a resident for taxation purposes, as the ATO says), but I also hadn't realised that I needed to tell the ATO this formally, rather than just not filing for 4 or 5 years. In fact, the last time I filed was when Michael did it for me. And that's ancient history now!
Anyway, having earned lovely quantities of money at QUT last year, and been studying in the same field I was working in at the same time, I got lots of lovely tax back. Which definitely justifies the hours and hours I spent working on all those horrible forms!
So I'm rich. Sort of. Rich for me, anyway. And in Australian dollars, which I'm often in need of (mostly because I only have an Australian credit card, and they occasionally want repayments...) but find hard to get when I'm overseas.
Which makes me feel even more justified in turning down the Tuesday class I was offered. My last Tuesday class finished, and I don't need to work in the office of the other school on Tuesdays, usually, so I'm planning to try to keep it free. I don't need to work more than 4 days a week in this town! Or less, even. And my life is a lot more sane and healthy when I'm not working full time. I get to do useful things like open bank accounts, get my boots fixed, go to the post office, and other such business-day things. Not to mention catch up on sleep, and, if it weren't snowing heavily, I could even go skating or something. Maybe next week!

1 Comment:

d said...

Congratulations! I love it when those things happen - last week, to my surprise I found the British Council had paid me a final month's grant for Warsaw, I's thought they'd stop paying me in December and hadn't realised there was an extra months worth to come.