Saturday, March 1

music (up) to my ears

So here are my current musical projects and prospects:

  1. Choeur Maha is doing a very short gig tomorrow night as part of Montreal's Nuit Blanche - an all-night festival of all things cultural. We'll be singing an alleluia in a stairwell, which should be interesting.
  2. On Monday I'm hosting our weekly all-girls-blue-grass-jam-band-jam. We plan to perform sometime soonish in the 'Monthly Mess' organised by indyish.com
  3. Next Saturday, International Women's Day, Choeur Maha is also performing at the Edgy Women Festival, in a show with Clara Furey, a local singer/songwriter/dancer and generally interesting person. The choir is doing a piece of two with her, as well as a bunch on our own, and then I'm doing one song with her on my own. There was supposed to be more of us, but I was the only one who actually turned up to the rehearsal. It's exciting, and a little scary as it's a while since I've performed outside of the safety and relative anonymity of a chorus.
  4. I've been offered a clarinet! Just to borrow, but that's enough. I got to play one briefly last week, and discovered that my lip piercing is not really a problem, and then a friend from choir mentioned she had a clarinet just sitting about at her place not doing anything. So I'm going to borrow it and join the anarchist marching band.
  5. As part of the small-ensemble work for the Maha show in April, a group of about 8 of us are doing a Quebecois folk song called Ziguezon. I get to play the spoons! (proper, wooden ones, that is, designed for Quebec folk music, except when we don't have them handy, and I steal wooden spoons from the kitchen...).
  6. And then finally, also as a Maha small ensemble, there are 4 of us preparing a version of Leonard Cohen's I'm Your Man. The plan is to also do it for the Transpride festival that is on around the same time as the Maha gig. We're not entirely sure how we'll do it yet. We're still trying to decide whether to do it big-band showtune style (anyone got a big-band we can borrow?) or sleazy lounge-bar style. Or, maybe, like this version from Michael Buble, we could do both at once!
Have I mentioned that I love this town?

0 comments: