Thursday, July 3

Travelling alone

Travelling alone makes me sad. Or at least thoughtful and nostalgic. Maybe this is why I much prefer having company.
Travelling alone (by which I mean the actual train-plane-bus moving bit, not the staying-in-interesting-places-bit) always gives me this world-weary feeling of moving silently through the crowds, somehow insulated from all their holiday stress and excitement, or business focussed hurry. I'm not a holiday maker, I'm not a business traveller, I'm just a traveller, and this is how I live my life, spending too much time in the airports and bus stations of the world. Spending too much time revisiting places I've already been, countries i know too well to be excited about.
Or maybe it's just bloody england depressing me again...

This time too, though, I think it has to do with leaving places. Leaving Montreal last month, with no idea if I'll be able to return, wasn't easy. Landing directly in London, a place that always freaks me out a bit, just made it so much worse. When Telyn and I parted ways, even though it was a good thing, it felt like saying goodbye to the last piece of Montreal that I had left. And then spending time this week back in Berlin, where I used to live, I realised how similar it is to Montreal, in some ways, and that i would consider living in Berlin again, if I found better work than last time. And now I've left Berlin and the friends and acquaintances i have there, and again landed in bloody London, which is no doubt what is contributing to this depressing bit of wallowing. But at least it's only for a night, until tomorrow, when I'm back in Cold Ash, and all the memories and nostalgia and bloody hard work that will bring!
I really shouldn't travel alone, obviously! It makes me think too much!

2 comments:

mvc said...

Hey, Kat. Your post made me think of a novel I recently read, Sweetness in the Belly, about living between cultures. You might like it.

Also, I wouldn't want to spend too long in England either!

Anonymous said...

Chère camarade de musique et amie, je te souhaite un bon voyage dans ces villes anciennes de l'Europe. Un jour, tu auras la chance de pouvoir revenir visiter le Québec ! Je voyage sur le pouce''hitching'' pour venir jouer avec la fanfare. Le voyage nécessite la moitié de la journée (7h00) environ. Ton blog est un bon exemple pour la pertinence de tenir à jour la vie sur internet. Je comprends mieux le concept maintenant ! Enfin, profite bien du temps qui passe.

Latcho drom !/ bon voyage !
Mes sincères salutations étudiantes