Saturday, September 10

Even worse... - Bucharest, Romania
1 Stars This place was Awful visited Sep 10, 2005
Just to top off our wonderful experience of Bucharest: a few hours after leaving, I happened to be rumaging around in my day pack, and for some reason noticed there was something missing. Namely, my camera. Yes, after years of not having anything much stolen (nothing but a dictaphone and expensive sleeping bag in Italy in 2003 and a travel-sized bottle of sunscreen in Oradea a week before Bucharest) I have had my camera stolen from my day pack in a hostel room. It must have been while we were cooking dinner (with half the ingredients as the rest had been stolen as well), which is, I think the only time it was out of my sight and unlocked. Pretty silly to leave it unlocked, but I had met many of the people in the dorm by then, and they all seemed trustworthy. The camera itself is a loss - I had got quite used to it - but Kate has a digital camera with better resolution, so I'll just have to work out how to use hers properly, and borrow it often. More of a loss are the 100 or so photos that were on the camera. I had noticed the day before that the card was nearly full, but didn't download them to my laptop, because I didn't feel the hostel was secure enough to display the fact that I was travelling with a computer. Those 100 photos were almost all the photos we had of Romania. We hadn't been using Kate's camera at all. There are a few of Oradea, which I will upload when I get around to writing that blog post, but apart from that, I have no photographic record of our time in Romania - the country I think I have enjoyed most this trip. I bet it was the same git who stole our dinner too.

0 comments: