Wednesday, March 5

Good Things

Good Thing #1
I have a clarinet! To borrow while I'm here. I got to play it last night at our jam session, and discovered I can play You Are My Sunshine in just about any key that doesn't have a ridiculous number of sharps or go into the upper register (I realise this narrows it down considerably!) I need to train my lip muscles a little more before playing anything in the upper register. Not surprisingly, after a 10 year hiatus (I stopped doing a lot of things about 10 years ago, it seems) they are a little out of shape. But I always preferred the sound of the lower register anyway!
So now I need to think of things to practice! It's odd, because my fingers remember what to do fine, but my lips put me right back in the beginner category. So I squeak like a beginner, but can remember all the fingerings for all the notes. It's an odd combination.

Good Thing #1b
**Geek Alert**
Speaking of You Are My Sunshine, this is one of my favourite Voyager moments. A hologram and a Borg singing a duet...


Good Thing #2
The supermarket that sold marmite, and then didn't sell marmite, is selling marmite again! Yay! Ok, so it's not vegemite, but it's a decent (and apparently occasionally available) substitute, so I'm happy.

There are more good things, but there's also the not-so-good thing, which is that I have to leave for work in about 8 hours, and I still have to fit in some lesson preparation, lunch preparation and sleep preparation. And then the actual sleeping as well, if I ever get around to it.

1 Comment:

Sean said...

Well, of course you like the lower register better - you progressed to the bassoon after all.